While it is cooler and more heroic to defeat an enemy many times bigger than you in possibly all aspects, you know you want to fight as Goliath sometimes – filled with bullying rage and bent on sweet domination. That is why when I first played an Archenemy campaign game in Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012, I thought of trying the new game mode as the overwhelming archenemy against three allied planeswalkers (or players).
After a little bit of Google searching, it turns out Duels 2012 only allows players to be one of the three normal planeswalkers. Luckily, I also learned that an upcoming expansion for the widely acclaimed video game will not only add new challenges and decks but also lets you do the very reason you stumbled upon this blog post: play as Archenemy.
Actually, I read a user’s forum post (the link of which I cannot find anymore) that he played against a human playing as an Archenemy. Well, that might have been because the closed beta of the DotP 2012’s first expansion is being tested out. Eager fans who went to PAX on August 25 to 28 were even lucky to try the expansion before it goes on sale sometime during early fall.
More screenshots can be found at the link I provided above but here’s one that shows how the game will look like from the Archenemy player’s point of view:
The player portrait of the Archenemy seems to have a different art style than the portraits of other planeswalkers. To me, it seems she is not a planeswalker at all but a customized avatar.
Anyway, here is a list of other official changes/additions coming in the DotP 2012 first expansion:
- Three new decks to play, namely, “Grave Whispers,” “Auramancer,” and “Cloudburst,” by the respective planeswalkers: Liliana Vess, Ajani Goldmane and Ral Zarek
- A taste of another upcoming expansion called Innistrad with six exclusive cards
- New challenges a la Archenemy style
- Additional single player campaign levels
- Four unlockable cards for the original Duels 2012 decks
- New achievements for all platforms (PSN, XBLA, and Steam)
- New loading screens